Submitted by x359437 on Mo, 10/21/2013 - 10:31am
The IWW International Solidarity Commission stands with Starbucks workers in Chile, members of the independent Sindicato de Trabajadores de Starbucks Coffee Chile in their struggle for a voice on the job. Starbucks has refused to negotiate with their union in good faith, instead breaking the law to crush the union and stifle workers' voices. This will not stand. The globalization of capitalism, often symbolized by Starbucks itself, requires the globalization of workers' organizations to advance the class struggle. The Industrial Workers of the World took action in support of our Chilean Fellow Workers' strike in 2011, and will take action again to assert global worker solidarity against corporate autocracy. An injury to one is an injury to all!
Submitted by x344543 on Do, 10/10/2013 - 4:18am
Ottawa-Outaouais General Membership Branch Industrial Workers of the World (IWW)
October 8, 2013
For Immediate Release
IWW files Unfair Labour Practice (ULP) complaints against Ben Gunter Pharmacy Inc., Shoppers Drug Mart
The Ottawa-Outaouais IWW would like to thank its supporters and community allies for their contributions regarding its current labour dispute with Ben Gunter Pharmacy Inc. (Shoppers Drug Mart Store #1428).
On September 16th and 17th respectively, Ryan and the IWW received cease-and-desist letters from the law offices of Birenbaum, Steinberg, Landau, Savin & Colraine containing a false allegation of trespassing, and accusations of misrepresentation, misconduct, tortious and defamatory activity.
- There has been no trespassing of the Shoppers Drug Mart store on the part of the IWW. Union members have entered the store only in official capacities to communicate with store management.
- We have exercised our due diligence before representing the current unfair labour situation to the public by attempting to meet with Associate/Owner Ben Gunter, who chose to respond by refusing to engage in further communication. In this scenario, our conclusions have been reasonable, and made in good faith, in light of our investigation of Ryan’s termination.
- All our picket-line activity and conduct has been within legal boundaries. We will continue to advise picketers that they are not to enter the store premises, but that it is their lawful right to picket, inform the public about inappropriate business practices, and to demonstrate that people are prepared to show solidarity with workers who fight back.
On September 30th, the Ottawa-Outaouais IWW filed Unfair Labour Practice (ULP) and Unlawful Reprisal (OHSA Section 50) complaints against both Ben Gunter Pharmacy Inc. and Shoppers Drug Mart with the Ontario Labour Relations Board. A Labour Relations Officer has been assigned to the case and a hearing date has been set.
Submitted by IWW.org Editor on Mi, 10/02/2013 - 5:43pm
- Striking Workers At Insomnia Cookies Join The IWW
- Reports, Discussion Abound At The 2013 IWW General Convention
- Los Angeles IWW Honors Ricardo Flores Magón
- One Year Of Wobbly Organizing In Indiana
- The Parallels Between The Sisters’ Camelot & Jimmy John’s Anti-Union Campaigns: Part 2
- A Day In The Life Of An IWW General Headquarters Staffer
Download a Free PDF Copy of this issue.
Submitted by IWW.org Editor on Mi, 10/02/2013 - 5:27pm
- IWW Returns To The Railroad With ULP Strike
- Work People's COllege: Building Life-Long Wobblies
- Sakuma Brothers Agricultural Strike In Washington
- The Parallels Between The Sisters’ Camelot & Jimmy John’s Anti-Union Campaigns
- Workers’ Power: Job Conditioning
- Jane LaTour: Empowerment For Union Women
Download a Free PDF Copy of this issue.
Submitted by x359437 on Mo, 09/16/2013 - 4:13pm
*Click here to donate to the strike fund*
By Jake Carman, October 2013 Industrial Worker
At midnight on Sunday, Aug. 18, the night shift at the Harvard Square Insomnia Cookies voted unanimously to launch a strike for higher wages, healthcare and freedom to build a union. On Tuesday, Aug. 20, all four strikers joined the Industrial Workers of the World and initiated a public campaign to achieve their goals.